Minor matters

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 19:24:26 +1200 (NZST)

Julian Lord:

Me>> I fail to see the need for the distinction [between Mysticism and
>> mysticism].

>Gloranthan Mysticism (including rulesy stuff), vs. mysticism the RW
>concept, I mean.

No such distinction is made for sorcery, shamanism and theism.

Me>> Likewise the impression that the Brithini are dour humorless types
>> because the world was broken in the Ice Age (not the Gods' War) is
>> also misleading. The Brithini are that way because they fear Death.

>I'd say that the Ice Age occurred as an event of the Gods' War. Death
>is part of the broken-ness of the World.

Death was happening long before the Ice Age and long before the Golden Age for that matter IMO. What brought about the end of the Provarian era (an age in Pelorian mythology that is comparable to Green Age of the Elves or the RW Aboriginal Dreamtime or the Garden of Eden) was not Death, but the _realization_ of Death's existance. This AFAIK is the insight conferred by the spirit WelPolo in the Entekosiad (the need to kill to survive) and because of this realisation, humanity went on to greater things.

Admittedly the essense of this was communicated to me when I was in a state of extreme intoxication and LARPlag at the Victoria Con. Make of it what you will.