Clanking City and Umathela

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 00:17:14 +1200 (NZST)

Charles Domino:

Some sources on the Machine City wars can be found in KoS (Orlanth and the Machine God p94) and an article on Dwarf History at www.glorantha.com. There is an article in Questlines II about that Wondrous City. You could also go to the archives and dig out glorantha digest v4 #513. Both these were written by, *ahem*, moi.

>Anybody got some ideas to toss about? Just off
>the top of my head, I remember it was supposed to
>be able to walk about, was destroyed by dwarves
>(who tricked others into doing most of the
>fighting), is full of traps, ghosts and strange
>mysteries, was the source of mass-produced magic
>items, and only Leonardo the Scientist seems to
>have made it in and out with some success.

Most of the details above are roughly correct save for the last. The people of God Forgot have a minor enclave inside the city. They fly adventurers and other never-do-wells into the city for dirt cheap air fares. The price of a ticket *out* of the city is a small fortune in artifacts.

To whet people's appetites, some further, erm, discoveries I have made about the Clanking City.

The Talar of God Forgot is so old that his immortality spells are fraying. The last stroke he had nearly killed him. To return him to mobility, Leonardo has devised a cunning artifice which takes the form of a large assembly that levitates over the Talar's head. To this assembly are attached various pulleys from which descend fine threads that can barely be seen by the naked eye. These threads are attached to various portions of the Talar's body and so allow him to move around, blink and speak in a jerky and artifical manner.

In the Hall of Wonders, is a Outer Atomic Explorer spaceship. It was brought as a derelict relic by a God Learner collecter to the City at its zenith. In the catastrophe that befell the City after Zistor's death, the radiations of the UnDoomsday bomb restored the vessel to nearly full operational status. However those that seek to use the vessel will have to cope with the hold of Grues that it manage to pick up during its last trip from Darkest Pamaltela in an attempt to repeat the Pithdaran Odyssey.

At the Airport, there is a cafe owned by Rikk which is frequented by people waiting for the tickets out of the Clanking City. It is the favourite haunted of the Airport Guards. These are specially trained Horals who are noted for their special monochrome uniforms. They are lead by one Colonel White. Most of the rank-and-file wear common red uniforms and suffer an appallingly high death rate. Of the officers, many rate a mention. Captain Blonde is a psycho with a bad habit of collecting ears and then burning his victims alive. Captain Black was captured by a tribe of morlocks several years back and is now working for them. Captain Scarlet was also captured by the morlocks but was deprogramed and is now indestructible. Captain Orange is suspected by Colonel White of being a Pharaonic Spy.

David Dunham:

> In 1585, the first ships in over 600 years arrived at the coast.
>They were crewed by Red Vadeli, who claimed to be gods, and seized control
>of commerce and the coast.

They were probably crewed by Brown Vadeli. The Reds would have been the Captains if Sandy is right about the Vadeli (and a recent Greg Sez implies the Blues had the Boats).

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #50