I got a F?!!

From: Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener <tavener_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 23:08:46 -0500

Jeff Richard wrote:

>The Second Son was not killed by Chaos and what he teaches those that he
>initiates is more than bravery or whatever.

All right Jeff, you've been hinting about the secret of Second Son for a while, without telling us directly (till now, that is) My explanation about Second Son's secret was the best I could do. Still, I am very glad to see it in plain view.

>The Second Son told Kerad that
>HE, Kerad, is ultimately responsible for the world and ultimately the only
>one that can save it. Not the gods, not even Orlanth, not the clan
>chieftain or the greatest warrior. Just you. To do this, you have to
>follow the "star" within yourself - the Star Heart, the very last light in
>the darkness.
>
>This is the very essence of Orlanthi "change" - the individual is
>responsible and empowered to "change" the world.

So, how is this demonstrated to the would-be initiate?

I can only guess that some task is set for the initiate, and is he invited to seek the advice of his elders. These elders would then give him bogus or nearly bogus answers to his dilema. He passes only if he completes the task using his own resources, ignoring the advice of his elders.

Or do you conceptualize it as something more formal? A ritual, perhaps?

DWRT