Three notes from the Fourth Age

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 11:20:21 +0100

These were intended to preface something that I've had as a 'work in progress' for a while: a Fourth Age Translation of Arkat's Book of HeroQuesting, intended as a propaganda tool for my own ideas about HeroQuests and such. Here purely for entertainment purposes and for the people who asked me where the time-traveller with the Purple Book came from in my Glorantha.

NOTE ONE To The Harshax from his servant, the Scribe Habraig

On the One Hundreth and Fortieth Day of Harshax Year One Hundred and Sixty

Most Puissant Lord,

        I write to you to bring intelligence of a most significant find by your servants working at the site of the Fallen Tower. The document attached to this letter is a translation into modern writing of a text found on the third level below the tower. The original (written in a most ancient tongue) remains in my possession.

        It appears to be a text of the cult of Arkat, the First Age 'hero' mentioned in many documents and legends which survive from before the destruction of the Moon and the Illiteracy Plague. It has a very mystical tone but contains much that is curious and most revealing of the philosophy of the Old World religion that grew up around the Empire that Arkat left his followers.

        This find strongly confirms that the Fallen Tower lies in the region once known as Ralios, the centre of the cult of Harshax.

        I send your Lordship this, knowing your interest in the philosophical beliefs of the Ancient World. More material has been found and is awaiting translation. It may be we have the complete 'secrets' of the old god on our cluttered desks somewhere!

        I will send your Lordship notice of all further developements.

Hail Harshax!

Habraig

NOTE TWO Harshax to his Captain Worhmant.

Take two squadrons of the Grey Horse and go immediately to secure the diggings at the Fallen Tower. Secure the persons of our scribe Habraig and all other literate persons. Ensure that they can communicate with no-one. Execute the unlettered workers at the site and bury their bodies. Have the literate ones dig the graves so that they may be encouraged to speak when our Inquistor General arrives.

Under no circumstances are you to allow your own eyes or those of your men to rest on any of the documents that have been taken from the Tower lest they find themselves digging graves for themselves. The Tower and the material taken from it are to be secured.

Go immediately as you love your life.

NOTE THREE Captain of Cavalry Worhmant
To his most puissant Overlord Harshax.

Most mighty Lord.

Following your instructions I proceeded with two squadrons of Grey Horse to the Fallen Tower site. However on arrival I found that only one person remained of all, literate or illiterate, that your Lordship sent to investigate the place. He seems to be mad and babbles incessently of spiders but I have secured him pending the arrival of the Inquisitor General.

At the site itself there is no sign of where the scholars and labourers have departed to. Our most skillful trackers can see no sign of departing spore and when we entered the encampment there were still pots of stew cooking on recently banked fires.

The entrance to the diggings below the Fallen Tower has been filled with rock. It shows every sign of being recently molten lava that has flowed up from the bowels of the earth although this land is not known for volcanic activity.

There is no sign of any written materials anywhere on the site.

I await my Lord's further instrutions.

Hail Harshax!