Is Glorantha Dying?

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 15:45:58 +0100

Brian Tickler:

> On a more serious note, it's pretty hard to mistake all the signs:
>
> - - Recent Glorantha-cons ill-attended and poorly reviewed>>

I've been to 2 Gloranthan conventions (I got back from Convulsion today and went to tentacle over Bacharach earlier in the summer).

Both were enormous fun, well attended and financialy healthy.

> - - Prominent digest personalities posting less and less (MOB, for
>example) or disappearing entirely (Sandy)>>

However MOB was at both conventions and Sandy was at one of them. Both have also had articles published in recent fan publications.

> RPG campaigns dying off

I'm just starting a new campaign with 6 players in London.

>- - Commericial publications halted>>

I played the Hero Wars playtest scenario and loved it. Anyway there are more fan publications now than ever before, though i agree we sorely need commercial stuff out there.

>fan-published materials fading fast

We're losing our fagship - tales - but Tradetalk, Drastic, Enclosure and other projects are doing very good business, thank you very much.

>All these factors point towards a dwindling fan base, a seemingly
>impossible result given the loyalty of RQ/Glorantha fans through the
lean
>years, but nevertheless, although many digesters will no doubt deny it,
the
>promise of Hero Wars is not enough to sustain this community...people
>want RuneQuest *and* Glorantha, together...

Not happening. The best (and sincerely genuine) sugestion I can make is that you get over it. yes, I'm denying it as you predict. The evidence I have seen with my own eyes does not support your assertions.

Ok, if HW fails badly you may well be sayign 'I told you so' in a year or twos time, but I see plenty of solid, concrete reasons to be optimistic.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #52