Second Sons and Undue Secrecy

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 21:29:55 +1200 (NZST)

Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener:

>Since Second Son was killed by Chaos (Correct?),

Not so AFAIK. He was cursed and then went to fight the I Fought We Won. He is now apparently the guardian of the path for the Orlanthi.

Bruce Richardson:

>I think you're right. A scenario about a search for knowledge about the
>Clanking City would be far better. Glorantha is full of secrets, very few
>of which you need to "know" to role-play or GM successfully.

I don't see why this requires that people should not play in the Clanking City. Pavis and Sun Country are full of Big Secrets yet nobody has suggested that we not play in those areas but search about for knowledge about them in a completely different place. Likewise the Elder Races have many secrets that are unknown to most of humanity yet we have many supplements detailing the various mysteries of the Elder Races.

Secondly the fact that only a few secrets are required to be known to play in glorantha successfully does not mean that we should abandon attempts to know secrets as a GM or a character when exploring a particular part of glorantha. Otherwise it could get extremely boring. Taken to extremes, it leads to situations like "You have been initiated into the cult of Orlanth. However since such ceremonies are not revealed to outsiders, we shall draw a veil over actual events. The only thing you need to know is that the local lunar bigwig now wants to carefully apply a mace to both your kneecaps. Why this is so is a secret and thus not necessary for you to know. Don't worry, even *I* don't know it..."

Lastly only a couple of secrets in glorantha are Truly Unknown. To wit, they are the Forbidden Secret and what precisely happened between Arkat and Nysalor. Yet the nature and impact of these secrets has little relevance to campaigns in Dorastor or Jrustela. Many secrets are widely known among a large number of people (like the nature of the Masks of the Red Emperor is well known to the Lunar Nobility who take full advantage of it when the time comes). Some secrets are widely known by everyone yet the details are maddeningly vague (like Vadeli are Evil). And most secrets in glorantha are capable of being discovered without destroying glorantha.

So don't be afraid. Explore the Secrets of Glorantha! You have nothing to lose but your Clouds of Unknowing.

>On a more practical note, any PC's who were successful and learned any of
>the secrets of the Machine City would be marking themselves for extinction
>by the Mostali and Co.

Given that the Mostali have only just managed to keep a monopoly on blackpowder and have not been able to retrieve Quicksilver back from the humans, I am not confident of Mostali attempts to eradicate people who have visited the Machine City and are wielding a fancy artifact or two (frex the Wand of the Seven Phases of the Moon described in Pavis pak is thought to have come from the Machine City. Yet no dwarves are known to be seeking its destruction).

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #51