Rejected Notes from the Composite History: 7

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 16:46:17 +0100

As is usual with me, a weekend at CONVULSION causes a burst of creativity.

This is another of the series of poems that I've been writing about the things that were not included in his history of Argrath's reign by the compiler of the Composite History. The following was sparked by a conversation with Jane Williams at CONVULSION. Oddly enough this is the last of the sequence. I have yet to write the planned poem about how this strange state of affairs came about.

The Throne Room: Boldhome. Morning

The Bronze Door opens
And in slides Argrath.
Sliding from shadow to shadow,
Keeping his back to the wall,
As he learned to do in the Streets
And the Dives of Pavis.

He spent the night before
Discussing the latest intelligence
Reports and carefully deciding
On the appointment of a Royal Foodtaster. One last glance around for luck
And Argrath slips silently onto his throne.

The Silver Door opens
And in clumps Argrath,
Belching and scratching
Under his White Bull robes.

He spent the night before
Drinking and singing
And feeding his Uroxi
Carefully crafted tales
Of Lunar Chaos Horror.
One last fart
And Argrath slumps heavily onto his throne.

The Gold Door opens
And in strides Argrath
His sword gleams brightly by his side.
His head is clear, his eyes bright.

He spent the night before
Discussing with his Chamberlain
Arrangements for his forthcoming marriage And the bids for next year's tax contractors. One last breath of clean Boldhome air
And Argrath settles gracefully onto his throne.

Somewhere a door that is not seen
Opens and closes.
There is a sense of something moving.

And the figure on the throne sighs