Transcendance and Immanence

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_hol.fr>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 21:42:29 +0200

David Cake:

> >For the illuminate, divinity is transcendant, as it ought to be (but
> >often isn't) in Malkionism.

There was handy transcendental support from Greg this weekend :-)

> My general feeling about Illumination is that it allows you to
> resolved contradictions, achieve the impossible, and generally believe
> several impossible things before breakfast. Its about reconciling the
> irreconcilable within yourself.

Me too.

> Illumination per se doesn't imply anything about your approach to
> divinity. Some schools might explicitly be associated with a particular
> magical path. But it DOES allow you accept that divinity is transcendant,
> and at the same time immanent.

Here I disagree. Immanence is, I think, an entirely different kettle of fish. Illuminates MUST realise, I think, the immanence of magic. Gloranthan deities themselves are not usually immanent, however.

Unless, of course, the magical and the divine are one and the same thing. This suggestion represents heresy in RW christian theology BTW ...

> So I'm going to agree with Peter M that illumination really doesn't
> have much to do with transcendent divinity except indirectly. Just because
> the Lunars believe in both, doesn't mean that they are the same.

And so will I ...