Re: Hero Wars Clan Temples

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 08:28:57 +0100

Benedict writes:

> As Orlanthi culture has previously been presented, Orlanth and Ernalda are
> central. I've interpreted this as meaning that a typical clan has an
Orlanth
> temple, an Ernalda temple, plus a third temple for the clan speciality
(e.g.
> Humakt for war clans).

The HW clan generation system you playtested at Convulsion has interpreted it as meaning that a typical clan has a temple to either "Orlanth (and Ernalda)" or "Ernalda (and Orlanth)", plus one or more shrines to its specialities. No clan generated by its rules has more than one temple, or has Orlanth and Ernalda worshipped in separate homes ("What? Do husbands and wives live apart, among your people??").

> However, the clans we generated at Convulsion were nothing like that!

True. They *were* more interesting than old-style "cookie-cutter" Orlanthi, though, weren't they?

> The war clan had no Ernalda temple,

i.e. the focus of their "Orlanthi" worship was masculine

> the other clan had an Earth Witch temple but no Orlanth temple.

i.e. they were a bizarre and unusual clan. Only a clan which has "Novelty" as one of their primary traits can have a temple which isn't devoted to Orlanth or Ernalda. I can't recall which side of the room Benedict was on, but can confirm that the left side of the audience -- the "Earth Witch" clan which I was marking up -- were bizarre and unusual, and prized Novelty.

They would, of course, have worshipped Orlanth at their Ernalda shrine.

> Were our choices weird, or is this intentional?

Both.

> Perhaps the clan generation rules need some more weighting towards
> Orlanth and Ernalda?

Every clan will have a temple (or, unusually, a shrine) dedicated to one or the other of these deities, at which both are worshipped. No clan will lack one. Is this a problem?

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>