Philosophising Glorantha

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 15:08:54 +0100

Continuing my quest to understand Glorantha, here are some thoughts resulting from the recent discussion of magical systems and gods.

First, what is materialism in Glorantha? It seems to me that it's all that we consider materialism in RW terms plus magic that has materialistic effects (meaning physical manifestations). In that sense, sorcery is materialistic, but spirit magic and divine magic
(in RQ terms) are also definitively materialistic.
(From now on I will refer to meta-physical gods with a capital G - God -
and to 'physical' gods with god. So, Orlanth is a god and the Invisible God is a God. I will use the same convention to distinguish Theism from theism.)

It seems to me reasonable to consider that spirits and gods are part of a common realm of reality that would be the 'material' of Glorantha.

What is not materialistic is all that we would consider meta-physical in RW terms. I suppose that that applies to mysticism and to monotheism a la Invisible God or Arachne Solara.

If this is so, Theism and mysticism are meta-physical, and shamanism, sorcery and theism are materialistic.

What is odd to me is why are Malkioni considered materialistics? Because they practise sorcery? So what? They also use swords, eat, go to the bathroom (or to the nearest tree). IMO they practise sorcery because this magical practise does not emply enslawing themselves to some physical entity; and that's the surest way to remain free to dedicate themselves to God, and an higher, non-materialistic, realm of being.

This would mean that to consider that Malkionism is a form of materialistism is wrong. It has materialistic practices (sorcery, but also all form of rites that imply the manipulation of material forces of entities); but it aims to achieve full liberation from any form of material chains. To the Malkioni it would be the theist or the shamanist that are materialists.

Sergio