'Mini' Wargaming...Ugh

From: Ashley Munday <Ashley.Munday_at_liffe.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 15:34:16 +0100

Am I right in assuming that 'mini' wargaming is what we call skirmish war gaming over here in the UK - i.e. up to about 30 combatants a side? If it is, then apart from the magic there are some excellent sets of rules available for this sort of scale. Glorantha doesn't need its own set, just wander into your local stockists of gaming rules that cater for wargamers, clamber over the crusty old farts wearing cardigans and smoking pipes and ask for a set of skirmish wargaming rules that can cope with ancients and the dark ages.

Two books I'd recommend on the subject are both out of print, but still worth reading. "Skirmish Wargaming" by Donald Featherstone (published by PSL) presents a universal set of quick and easy skirmish rules that are still good for any period of history. He gives example scenarios from a Viking raid through the Napoleonic Wars to street fighting in Anzio during WWII. The other one is "Fantasy Wargaming" edited by Bruce Galloway (PSL again), which is more inclined to the medieval period but covers the dark ages as well.

For those interested, skirmish wargaming came in to popularity from people who wanted to personalise wargaming, get rid of clumsy morale rules and allow players to get into the role of the combatants. Sounds a bit like an RPG doesn't it? You can always dust off a copy of RQII and get much the same effect.

If it isn't and 'mini' stands for minatures, I'd recommend the Wargames Research Group (WRG) Ancient wargaming rules. They'll cover any style of conventional soldiers/warriors found in Glorantha although fantasy is covered by a couple of paragraphs that basically say "Oh please, we're serious here, you're on your own." Some people also swear by (and at) the "Shock of Impact" Ancient rules, but I haven't seen a copy of those for a while, so they may be defunct. The differences seem to be largely a matter of taste.

Finally, if 'mini' wargaming is something to do with little cars, then you're all very strange.

Ash