Re: Minis Wargaming

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:29:40 +0100

___
Ash asks:

> Am I right in assuming that 'mini' wargaming is what we call skirmish
> war gaming over here in the UK - i.e. up to about 30 combatants a side?

Not when I talk about it -- that's "minis" i.e. "miniatures": any wargame, any size, where nicely painted chunks of metal or plastic are being moved around on representative terrain.

BTW, good source & rules recommendations all round -- thanks!

The fear is that to make "Hero Wars" appeal to wargamers, we'd be turning it into a wargame. Since there are already many fine wargames and skirmish-RPGs on the market (as Andrew tells us, they're very popular at GenCon), and no Gloranthan mythic/heroic role-playing games, I think this would be rather a shame. As "Hero Wars" has elegantly simple rules (once That Table has been changed :-), wargamers can graft their own fave Morale tables and CRTs and whatever onto them. They'll look like knobbly extrusions -- but then, some people *like* knobbly extrusions!

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>