Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #61

From: Eric Hansen <ehansen_at_adan.kingston.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:21:41 -0400

Alex wrote:

> To have to get all Rollmeisteresque at that point, and look up a _table_ seems to
> be the very height of perversity.

One measely little table that my cat could memorize in 5 minutes is hardly Rollmeisteresque, and if that's your definition of the height of perversity, you need to get out more.

> Seems to me that one could get _essentially_ the same effect with no
> matrix. <snip>

But isn't a matrix a concise, clear way of doing this?

> have the table, for the sake of clarify, but make it systematic
> enough to be recreated once the underlying principles are understood,
> you don't actually need it.

You mean like the HW extended contest table.

> Sorry to make my first comments so negative; overall I was favourably
> impressed, but the table made me shiver. In fact, our test session
> actually ground to a halt while everyone started to try to figure out
> the table, complain about it, and (worst of all) try to fix it!

I just don't understand this fear of tables. Even RQ has its Resistance Table (for the mathematically impaired). If you show today's sophisticated real-roleplayers anything like it, they moan that The End is certainly nigh, and get dew-eyed about The Good Old Days. :)

I dislike the Chartmaster approach a great deal, but I see nothing like that in HW, which has to be one of the cleanest, simplest, and most playable games I've tried. Next to Feng Shui, of course :)

Eric Hansen