New figures for wargaming

From: robertson_at_delphi.intel.com
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 10:28:04 -0700

Yow!

Old Glory just released some new Ancients lines of 25mm figures. While I have not seen these particular figures yet, they should be a good buy even if they are not up to Foundry/Gripping beast quality (30 foot or 10 horse for ~$22US). For Glorantha Wargaming, this will swell the ranks of figures immensely. The figures are more-or-less in the same scale as Wargames Foundry and Gripping Beast.

Now to get the time, money, and permission from the wife to add a new room to the house, buy and paint several armies, and work on more rules... Too bad I dind't win the Powerball lottery (295.7 *Million* dollars!)

You can see the Old Glory lists at:
http://www.erinet.com/bp/index.html

Oh, and for those who think Glorantha and Wargame are mutually exclusive, all I can say is Phooie! There are those of us that see the struggles in Glorantha as perfect foils for wargame scenarios and campaigns. There are three sets of rules semi-published (Warhamster in an old Tales, Red Devestation, and my own Dogs of War) that have been enjoyed at conventions (and private games of course). Other rulesets do not address some of the peculiarly Gloranthan aspects of Warfare - no, not just troop types, but:

The availability of magic at the footsoldier level Entire magical units (Lunar College of magic type) Unit-killing Heros (even moreso than Warhammer's heros) Unit-killing (or battlefield-leveling) magic

Other aspects can be pretty easily migrated from other game systems (Troop types, flying, Terror-causing, chaos features, etc).

Roderick

Old Glory's New Lines:

Biblical Wars

   Assyrian
   Hittites
   New Kingdom Egypt

Fall of Rome

   Carolingians
   Franks
   Goths
   Huns
   Late Imperial Rome
   Lombards
   Palmyrians
   Sassinids

Imperial Rome & Enemies

   Dacians
   Parthians
   Imperial Romans
   Sarmatians

Punic Wars

   Alexander's Army
   Carthaginians
   Greeks
   Indians
   Republican Romans
   Scythians
   Seleucids
   Thracians

These lines will fill in a lot of gaps (need Sun Domers or Stone Phalanxes? Grab a bag or two of Greek Hoplites or Alexandrians. need Pentans? Grab a bag of Huns, Scythians, Sassinid Cav, Seleucid Cav, or Sarmatian Cav).

Other lines of old Glory that are of use to Glorantha include:

Dark Ages
  Asiatic horsemen
  Byzantines
  Russians