Luck

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 12:08:26 +1200 (NZST)

Nikolas Lloyd:

>What use is the luck rune in Glorantha/RQ?

It's used in the Holy Country although the exact details are not known save that the contest to choose the next pharaoh is called the 'Masters of Luck and Death' tournament.

>Do people in Glorantha believe in luck?

Yes. In Jolar, there is even a plant called 'Damn-my-luck'.

>We often say that some tribe somewhere wears a certain talisman
>"for luck" but in Glorantha, I imagine that a man does not rub his
>rabbit's foot (or whatever) for "luck" but instead to contact/pray to/
>placate a particular god or spirit, or to incant a spell, which will
>perhaps help him.

And quite a few of those spells are generalized luck spells. I imagine there are quite a few gloranthans who have luck totems.

>If fate is unalterable destiny, then what is a heroquest?

An attempt to alter alterable destiny.