Re: Lions in Loskalm

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 09:31:56 +0100

Peter writes:

> Syranthir's Ten Thousand marched from Loskalm to Carmania in
> the second age had tame lions in their ranks which implies that
> leonophobia was not a characteristic of the Loskalmi. Where
> these lions came from is not known to me.

Lions are big cats. Wolves are big dogs. Ergo, lion-people fought wolf people in the Gbaji Wars, under Talor the Laughing Warrior. Talor afterwards refounded Loskalm, and took his plucky allies with him. They were part of the ultra-loyal forces of Syranthir, the Grand Old Duke of Jhor, and went with him when he marched up the beautiful blue Janube to establish the Carmanian nation in Peloria.

What kind of lion-people? Three kinds, originally, now blended in that uniquely wonderful Arkati way. Some were descended from the First Age Basmoli kingdoms of the West (what Joerg calls the Pendali). Some were descended from the Seshnelan Knights who wiped them out, nailed their hides (rampant gules) to their shields, and devoured their leonine powers and attributes (think of Richard the Tigerhearted...). And some were Orlanthi Cat People, Alynx and others, who joined the Crusade against Chaos to twat their old foes at the Wolves' High Pass.

The Lion Warriors of Syranthir's army became the core of the Bashkars, the Lion Guard of old Carmania. Some more may be on my web-page Carmanian sources, cf. the URL below.

It is, of course, possible that the Loskalmi now hate lions just as much as the Seshnegi do. After all, the Jrusteli were Seshnegi in origin, had no reason to give Syranthir's forces or Arkat's allies a good press, and ruled for hundreds of years in their oh-so-intrusive God Learner style...

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>