Re: HW

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 16:29:22 -0800

Luc Lavergne

> I am sure that if HW was going to have a CD-ROM version, a lot of us
> were going to buy it. It wouldn't cost as much as the printed version
> to produce (1$ or 2$ of plastic by CD) and it would add a new twist
> wich could attract new players. What do you think ?

I hope I'm not just being grumpy, but I think you're not in the budget side of the business. CDs aren't nearly as cheap to put together as books. You describe a wonderful product, but who's going to pay for the programming, animations, and recording a broo? And who wants to wait for the CD to be created, when they can get the linear print version a few weeks after it's completed?

And who wants to read it on a crappy screen? Paper is still far more legible as a delivery medium.

As for the main resolution table in Hero Wars, I think this is a case where the information is best presented in a table, rather than a bunch of sentences which say "if x then y." The meta-rule is "the better roll wins," but the table is necessary because of the betting of Status Points. It is however constructed logically, and isn't something you refer to after playing for a while.