Re: That Table Again

From: Eric Hansen <ehansen_at_adan.kingston.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 23:56:13 -0400

Me responding to Alex resopnding to me about HW tables:

Conflict resolution in hero wars is based on a comparison of opposed results. A table is, imo, a perfectly acceptable and reasonable way to convey these relationships to the player without running through a series of nested if satements. The conflict resolution system's underlying principle is the difference between one person's level of success and another's, and the tables demonstrate this and make it easy to understand what is happening in every possible case. I disagree that use of a table is a crutch, used in place of good game design; used properly, as in this case, it aids clarity and understanding. When you want to know what happens in any conceivable combination of outcomes, it's nice to be able to find the information quickly and clearly laid out. Sure, you could write the rule in the way you suggest, with a definite result tied to each person's die roll, and then all results applied, but I think it's less elegant this way, and will still have players asking the GM "I rolled a success, what does this mean?", and then someone looking it up (until they have the results memorized). I know you will argue that the table's contents should be clearly expressed in longhand rules, with the table included as a play aid. The principles of conflict resolution are very clearly presented in the rules, and the tables simply let us know the outcome of any conflict at a glance. It is unnecessary to include the long version. I stand by my belief that objections to the Hero Wars contest tables are irrational. And so does my intellectual powerhouse cat.

I hope I wasn't out of line with that crack about not getting out enough.

Take care> Eric Hansen