Re: Materialism in Glorantha

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 10:50:55 +0100

Peter Metcalfe:
> A Materialist does X and creates effect Y.
>
> A Shaman horsetrades with Spirit X and gets effect Y.
In other words, the Spirit does X and creates effect Y. And the shaman may use a spirit spell, which means that: A Shaman does X and creates effect Y.

> A Theist prays to God X and is rewarded with effect Y.
Which means that the God does X and creates effect Y.

In other words, your concept of materialist action applies to sorcerors, shamans, and gods.

> The existance of the Invisible God is provable in Glorantha. Even
> the Brithini acknowlege his existance. Therefore he is no more
> metaphysical than the existance of quarks in the RW.
Provable in which sense? In the sense that people can sense his presence and his actions (both physicaly and magically)? It seems not. I would rather say that this proof is of the nature of the proofs of the existance of God in our RW. But in the RW believing in God is an act of faith, not of proof, precisely because nothing proves the existance of God.

>>What is odd to me is why are Malkioni considered materialistics?
>> Because they practise sorcery?

> Because their worldview is constructed on the basis of provable
> concepts.

The same can be said of spirit magic practitioners, and polytheists. For instance, there is plenty of proof on what concerns spirit magic spells, spirits, and discorporate entities. The spirit plane is no less 'material' then the mundane plane.

> They interpolate from easily proven concepts and then
> go on to prove the interpolations. By this method, they have
> proved the existance of the Invisible God and that is how they
> attempt to reach him.

This looks a lot like the quest to prove the existance of God in RW Christian theology and philosophy: A dead end.

It seems that you're giving me arguments against the Malkioni as materialists point of view. Or let me put it in another way: Malkionism allows for a more rational and logical dealing with mater and nature, not  based on occasional aquisitions or the dependance on sprits or gods. In that sense, it is more materialistic. But it allows a person to be more ready to understand the limits of the material, and to try to reach an higher level of existance without the constrains of mater. In that sense, it is not materialist. Certainly, only an handfull of very special people can attain the highest reaches of Malkionism.

Sergio

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #66