V6 #63 maunder

From: Nikolas.Lloyd <Nikolas.Lloyd_at_newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 16:32:19 GMT0BST

<<I played the whole of the Warhammer FRP campaign "The Enemy Within" with a very good group of role players. At the end, the ref. said that his favourite moment was when we ordered breakfast at an inn. It was a good moment, but one can't have an entire fantasy role play campaign consisting of ordering meals.>>
     Well, I don't think anyone has suggested that HW does that ;-)

<<> it makes no sense to have the grand oration to sway the clan in> council
be reduced to one "orate" roll. HW fixes this.

Does it fix it for the player who has poor oratory, who is playing a character with excellent oratory?>>

     Yes - in fact it should make it more enjoyable for that kind of player. The only problem seems to be that the version demonstrated at Convulsion actually makes it uninteresting for players with good oratory playing characters with good oratory, because the result depends on the dice (which would leave me personally without any sense of satisfaction). Hopefully the full rules will get around this problem, if only by making it clear that this is an optional rule!

<< I hope that Herowars does not require me to buy a supplement before I can set things in the world. I know Glorantha, but a new potential player may not, and might be put off if the rulebook requires a Gloranthan setting, while giving no help with creating one.>>

     IIRC from the discussion at Convulsion, Robin said that the rules would include some Gloranthan background, but that the Introduction to Glorantha and the various settings books will really be needed/wanted by the aspiring GM. That's one reason why publication of HW is being delayed despite the first draft of the manuscript having been completed - Issaries want to make sure that supporting books can come out within only a month or two so that nobody will have to hang around waiting for them.

<<I do not believe in the Christian (or any other) god, and yet I believe in the ability of a die to generate random numbers, and I have some idea of the odds of certain numbers coming up, so I can gamble in a world without luck. "Luck" here is a word describing a mystical force which influences what numbers I might roll. "Luck" could of course refer to any unpredictable result, but that's not how I'm using the word.>>

     I understood you to be asking the meaning of the Luck rune, which I think does refer to unpredictable results. If by 'luck' you mean a mystical (partially) predictable force which influences how things happen but which isn't either predetermined or controlled by deities/spirits, then I'd agree that most Gloranthans don't believe in it (except conceivably, for mystics). If you have 'bad luck' in Glorantha it probably means that some spirit or god has it in for you, or else that a series of unpredictable detrimental events have occured. If you're not a Malkioni you'll be inclined to go for the first option as an explanation, although this won't necessarily be correct every time.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky