wittering on

From: Colin Phillips <cphill12_at_ford.com>
Date: 04 Aug 1998 07:18:17 -0400

TO: glorantha_at_chaosium.com

While a few of you may be enjoying the a table or not a table argument, could you take it off line please because its boring the pants off the rest of us. Its almost as bad as "I am the shadow of ..." If I thought any of us had any chance of changing one rule in Hero wars, I say continue but as Robin has stated repeatedly, he doesn't believe in design by digest. Aren't we just wasting words?

If you are a playtester you have more chance of changinging things if you give Robin some constructive feedback. If you really care this much about the rules try and get included in the playtests that are happening at the moment.

HW will live or die by its merits whether we like what it says in a table or not. As for rolepaying (you know that thing we are supposed to like!) I have been surprised to learn just how many of us are rules driven. This is not a criticism! I am just surprised that people seem to want rules to sort out character arguments thats say "if player A says something witty in character give him a +1" rather than giving people advantages on dice rolls when they role play something extremely well. In the vain hope of stirring up something interesting, how many people wing the rules and how many strictly adhere to the rules in the games we buy.

I personally am in the wing it mode of things but I would be genuinely interested in knowing if anybody has every played RQ etc with all the rules and did the players enjoy this.

Hopefully this note hasn't upset anybody, but if it has, I'll apoligise now to save all of those flames later.

Colin

Regards,
Colin Phillips