Pronunciation

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 19:21:39 +0100

Don't worry about it!

Nicholas Davison (with a .uk email id) says:
> 1. We have been pronouncing Pavis and Issaries incorrectly for the
last 15 years. (Greg says Par-vis and Ice-aries)

Greg is an American. The language he speaks is not English. Naturally, you don't pronounce words the same way he does - would you want to?

Think - how do you pronounce "Paris"? How would a Frenchman pronounce it? But the name comes from the Parisi tribe who founded it: and in fact, our version is closer to the original than the French. (Having discussed this, our group now refer to that place in Prax as "Payvee"!)

The only names we can really tie down are the ones based on bad puns. For instance, "Nochet" should sound a lot like "not yet". Though I have no idea what that sounds like in a Californian accent, and doubt if I would understand it, were a demonstration to be given.

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/