Stakes match with reality.

From: Steve Rennell <software_at_spis.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 10:15:35 +1200

"Hibbs, Philip" <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk> wrote.

> One thing that Robin pointed out is that staking low tends to produce the
> statistically likely outcome, as more rolls will average out. Staking high
> is worthwhile if the odds are against you.

That actually sounds like it matches the way I think when I'm doing SCA combat. If someone is much worse than me, I go for quick kills, and I'm prepared to take risks because I'm likely to get away with it (I've been beaten because of it on occasion too) and fights are usually over quickly. Against someone much better, you charge in and try and stay close to them throwing lots of blows, because most of the good people are better at range than really close up - in effect, it means that a mistake on their part is much harder for them to recover from. Against people somewhere near your skill level you be very careful, and hope they open up a gap.

One of the reasons I like RQ2 so much is that in a lot of ways it does feel like SCA combat to me. I'm actually looking forward to seeing HW to see if that feeling of real combat is still there..

Steve