Hero Wars

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 23:34:04 GMT

Having hinted outrageously to Robin and he (very kindly) taken the hint, I have decided to lay down what it is I don't like about Hero Wars.

Let me say that I was a playtester for a very short time. Well, two very short times, actually: I tried out both the groups I game with on it for two weeks after which both told me to take it away. This may partly be laid down to me as GM. I went in with a divided heart. There are things which I like very much about Hero Wars but I cringed when I read about the central mechanic and even more when I read the reasoning and philosophy behind it.

What I liked:

	The freeform character generation and the way it ties in with the
	description of the sample Sartarite culture. For me the char-gen can
	be as fluid and adaptable as OVER THE EDGE's system which it reminds
	me a good deal of.

	The religious and magical system, which while it needs working on and
	a few more examples to provide 'training wheels' for the players not too
	clued in about Glorantha is both satisfying and flexible and a lot more
	like I think Greg thinks about Gloranthan magic. The hints about Sorcery
	in the stuff I've seen make me think that can (At Last!) be made to work
	properly.

	The basic resolution system and the idea of Mastery (which is a design
	stroke of genius).

	The way the community was built up as background for the characters. I'm
	not sure you can do Dara Happan cities as easily as you can do Sartarite
	clans nor on quite compatible scales but the idea is there and well
	worth pursuing.

What I could put up with:

	The fact that the system was geared to high level characters. In HW
	you are starting at about Rune Level equivalent. You aren't starving
	peasants trying to get the attention of your clan cheif. You're already
	his closest advisors. The grain of  the system is just too coarse to
	allow the triumph a RQ character might feel at an increase of a couple
	of percent.

	The Plot Points system. For me the thing that this models is the
	characters' Will (remember that old HQ chesnut?), their ability to bend
	the universe to their ends. Given that they are also what they spend to
	advance their characters they are going to treasure these and not throw
	them around like confetti as they did in the demo I watched at
	CONVULSION. I would be happier if they were given out for good role-play
	and stuff like that and not as a result of dice rolls but I would
	be willing to change that for my own games.

What I hated:

	Little Hate first. The idea that PCs start out with a Level of Mastery
	over the 'average person'. They aren't just more skilled: because they
	are the chosen children of destiny, they get a bump up  over the spear
	carriers and farmers which means that against a mere mortal their
	Failures become Sucesses and their  Successes Big Successes! The idea
	that they will maintain a moral connection with their community when
	the very rules encourage themselves to regard mere mortals as 'sword
	fodder' is repulsive to me.

	Big Hate: The Goddamn Action Points System. Robin justifies it by saying
	that he is trying to model 'adventure fiction' of all kinds both books
	and movies. In adventure fiction you never see the Hero dying or even
	being wounded before the final conflict. He either triumphs or is
	killed and Robin finds ludicrous the normal course of RPGs in which
	people fight and both sides get hurt. This  is at the centre of our
	disagreement since for me any system which suppresses the fact that
	fighting is  a dangerous thing for everyone is a comforting lie of the
	kind which kills art stone dead. So in HW you will see people going in
	swinging swords and there is a *rule* which says you don't tell the
	players if they have been wounded until the end because the loosing side
	can always come back from the edge. In the HW universe a person cannot
	look down on themselves in the middle of a fight and see if they are
	bleeding. And that is just silly.

For me the Action Point resolution system does not make the flow of things more exciting but bleeds all the detail and reality out of conflict, especially combat. It is (as Robin will tell you) an abstracted system. And as others have noted here it is the concrete that makes the situation real to the player's imagination not the abstract.

Robin and I had to agree to disagree about HW at Convulsion. I am sure that it can be fixed but I fear that it will not be. I don't want to talk down what is going to be the core system for Glorantha for the years to come. But I do want to say that the paradigm shift is not one that I like.

Sorry that this went on so long.