Lion Warriors in KoW

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_hol.fr>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 10:19:40 +0200

Peter Metcalfe:

> So to imply that the Loskalmi have maintained a rabid fear of lions
> that manifests itself in the Kingdom of War is like claiming that
> the modern day Englishman has a hidden rabid fear of Popish Plots.

Well, some actually do (read some Graham Greene if you like ... ), but yes, a good point.

> I think it more likely that the KoW reflects Loskalmi perceptions
> of the chaos of King Siglat's struggle for the throne which the
> Loskalmi have been blanking out.

Oh sure, I think that's the wide prospect of the KoW. But weird background figures might also be fun, no?

> >But the Kingdom of War appeared during the Syndic's Ban, seemingly from
> >nowhere. It incorporates no part of the physical world as it previously
> >existed, surely, despite the blatant unrealism of this idea.
>
> The Q&A said that the KoW was originally inhabited by inhuman
> demons (Uz?) from the land of the dead.

I disagree. I think that it means, rather, that these demons (not Uz I think. GW Chaos Knights, and Chaos Demons, rather. Doubtless the KoW boxed set will contain many little lead wariors, with extra blister packs available in all good games shops ...) were the first entities of the KoW to appear in Glorantha, or : the thin end of the Wedge. :-PThe KoW didn't exist previously, and couldn't therefore have had any original inhabitants IMO.

> The KoW is now mostly
> human because it has converted its enemies into fighting for it.

Since the end of the Syndic's Ban, yes, this has been happening. But my reading is, rather, that other warlike creatures, including Evil humans, also came into being in the KoW during the Ban, and were already present when it lifted.Why not Basmoli, too?

> So if you want Basmoli in the KoW, a group of them would have
> to be in the vicinity of the Black Forest circa 1612-18 ST when
> it thawed IMO.

No, your Arrolian suggestion is fine. If the Arrolians did indeed fear and loathe lions, then that's explanation (ie "pretext") enough for me to place Basmol in the KoW, before the Thaw.

> >Also, in reference to a later message : Are all knights who paint
> >dragons on their shields fearless of dragons? Surely not !!
>
> This does not follow. If they have conquered the dragons and thus
> gained the right to paint the motif on their shields, then it follows
> that the knights themselves are not afraid of dragons.

I doubt it. "conquered the dragons"? Are knights superheroes? Have you looked at a WB&RM Dragon counter recently? ;-)

> Given that
> the struggle against the Lions occured in 1st Century Seshnela and
> resulted in their extinction/assimulation, the impact of an imported
> leonine order into Loskalm would largely be heraldic (cf the Grand
> Order of the Swallow - are swallows vicious animals?).

Are you suggesting that knights of the Grand Order gained the right to paint the swallow motif on their shields after having conquered the swallows?? <g>

> >My present conceit is that there are men of the Kingdom of War who use lions
> >as steeds ("tame" lions). SNIP
>
> I think you would be better placed arguing this as a fear of the
> _Arrolians_ whose sufferings at the hands of the Carmanians are
> more recent.

Arrolians? Cool! Arrolians it is (until Nick contradicts us with a better suggestion, that is) (But I rather like the Carmanian twist to the story) ... Thanx!

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #76