Re: HW and healing

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 09:35:07 +0100

 Wesley :

>I have noticed that healing is very difficult in HW. I don't see any
of =
>it happening in the middle of combat.

On the other hand, wounds and such are also far less common in HW than in Runequest, where virtualy every combat most of the participants get slashed up to some extent and have to be healed. Do you realy think that Xena Warrior Princes would be a better programme if every time she got in a fight she got maimed or mutilated and had to be healed (with appropriate special effects). The trouble is RQ has no other mechanic for representing the ebb and flow of advantage in a combat other than wounds. Hero Wars is not limited in this way and so healing is less important.

> No more, Heal(6) and the arm is back on and I am swinging again =
>next round.

No more losing your arm every other game session, and a good thing too.

> ......... Healing magic,
like other magics, =
>is no longer a spell, it is re-enacting what the god did to perform the
=
>feat.

er... what else do you think ritual magic is?

I think this is still Wesley, but it might be Ross :

>An easy to describe example is a closely fought combat where no side
>seems to have the edge. The ability to heal those involved often
>determines how intensely the players can pursue their foes.

In Runequest.

>Players suddenly realising they have to retreat because they can no
>longer heal themselves is something I would not like to lose from a
game >system.

So you prefer to have the outcome of combats determined by the number of Magic Points each side have rather than their actual skill and ingenuity in combat?

>HW however seems to regard magic as something you can keep doing
>pretty much as long as you wish.

If you're doing minor, low pointage spirit magic style stuff yes. You already make it plain that your characters have enough spare MPs to do a fair amount of healing, so I presume they can cast their spirit spells a few times. HW just doesnt bother with that kind of tedious bookkeeping.

Higher powered effects have the disadvantage that if you cock it up you get the opposite of the effect you desired, e.g. a penalty in combat rather than a bonus. Realy powerfull effects are also very difficult. The only way to ensure you get powefull effects is to spend Plot Points.

I too was very concerned with this aspect of the cut down playtest rules, but fortunately such obvious problems have been developed magnificently.

>Doesn't this mean that if players get themselves into this equal
conflict =
>situation the fight will now last until boredom sets in.

No, because you are talkign about a cut down playtest set of rules you played with for only a few hours, and the game has already been developed to a point where this objection is irrelevent.

You keep talkign as though the version of the rules you played was the final be-all and end-all of Hero Wars. It isn't. You got a brief taster of the basic framework of the rules. That's all.

>Any one who goes down can be pulled out, healed, and thrown back in.

Isn't that the aspect of RQ you wer e praising earlier in your post?

>Am I miss-representing HW here?

Yes.

Simon Hibbs