Re: Materialism in Glorantha: The objective nature of magic

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 11:20:13 +0100

Sergio Mascarenhas :

>> Even a shaman's own tribespeople have a completely different
>> experience of the otherworld to the shaman. [skip] They could
>> quite easily describe their psychic experiences in such a way
>> as to be unrecognisable and unreconcilable.
>
>Because they are not the same experiences.

So you agree, they have different experiences of the spirit world?

>I don't think that two people interacting with the same
>discoroporate creature would have more diverging sensations then if
they
>were dealing with a mundane creature (in game terms, the GM will not
>make a different description to each player).

So you disagree, they have the same experiences of the spirit world.

This is confusing.

>So, sub-point #1: IMO all magic is objective in Glorantha. We know
>magic is based on POW and MPs. They are the 'matter' and 'energy' of
>magic. We also know they interact with the physical part of Glorantha.

This is utter rubbish. Hero Wars has no such thing as POW or MPs. They are purely RQ game mechanics. This is like saying that H.P. Lovecraft's characters must have had POW and MPs because Call of Cthulhu characters have them.

As for the objective/subjective thing I realy don't want to get into that one again. Suffice to say that your oppinion on the objective nature of the gloranthan spirit world is your business. I disagree with it completely, to the extent that I understand it from your contradictory statements on the subject.

>Trotsky:
>> their magic [sorcery] doesn't employ the spiritual world in addition
>> the material.
>
>False: they need POW and MPs to do magic.

Unless you're playing Hero Wars, in which case this statement is meaningless.

Simon Hibbs