HW: Mastery

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 15:34:27 -0500 (CDT)

Alex asked:

>That was an aspect of the rules that the demo didn't seem to touch on.
>How do the Mastery rules work -- does each level give you an _automatic_
>bump-up?

Yes. Each level of mastery (over your opponent) gives you an extra level of success. If Joe the superhero (with four levels of mastery) fights Laura the hero (with two levels of mastery) Joe has all two levels of mastery over Laura and his falures convert to big successes. She is toast unless she gets really lucky.

So you can beat someone who has one level of mastery - on a lucky day. If they have two levels of mastery it is very hard, as their failures become criticals (big success). If they have three levels of mastery they will always critical (I hate HW terminology) against you, so you can only tie them.

At that level of mastery it doesn't matter how many people attack at once, as a crtical is a critical. A critical of '1' is equal to a critical of '20'.

Or so it was explained a few months ago.

Kevin
(Who's off to GenCon)