Re: Stakes match with reality.

From: Steve Rennell <software_at_spis.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 10:04:00 +1200

> Phil Hibbs:
> > > One thing that Robin pointed out is that staking low tends to produce
> > > the statistically likely outcome, as more rolls will average out.
> > > Staking high is worthwhile if the odds are against you.

Steve Rennell replies
> > That actually sounds like it matches the way I think when I'm doing SCA
> > combat. If someone is much worse than me, I go for quick kills, [...].
> > Against someone much better, you charge in and try and stay close to
> > them throwing lots of blows, [...]

Alex comments:
> That's the opposite effect, then, not the same one.

I consider that charging and throwing lots of blows is a high risk maneuver, If I screw it up I'm likely to get whacked. I also consider it as a "single" maneuver, not a lot of little ones. It is one manuever that I'm taking a big risk on in the hopes that I'll land a blow before the other guy.

I never really believed that in RQ each character only got to swing the sword once per 12 seconds. I assumed it was a combination of multiple blows that was likely to get a hit on the target. I think I'm even less likely to see each "bet" in HW as a single blow.

Does that clarify my position any Alex?

Regards

Steve