RE: HW Criticisms

From: Pete Newallis <reaper_at_sound.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 20:40:28 -0500

Simon:

>These wild lashings out against a five-page version of a beta version of a
>game system are starting to get on my wick. For example, Pete Nash lists 9
>critical points, nearly all of which are complete rubbish because they are
>based on experience of 2% (albeit the 2 most important %) of the game
>system. It contained no refereeing guidelines or rules options.

   I went back and looked at lot of the Hero Wars comments. Most of the tone wasn't
disrespectful. <IMO> You know this can be good feedback for Robin, seeing how playtesters interpret things. Some seem to bring up good ideas that may mesh with HW as it is finalized. Robin is a professional and a good one, I doubt he losing sleep over list comments.

>Can we keep this list Gloranthan, please? If Robin wanted to set up a Hero
>Wars discussion list, it would be easy enough to do. He hasn't.

  The comments are about a proposed Gloranthan roleplaying game. It was mentioned
that there may be separate lists at the future time, but it isn't now.

>OK, you played it at Convulsion, and were invited to comment - so email
>Robin with your comments, but please don't slander Hero Wars in public.

  And Robin or Chaosium can respond if they think the critics are out of hand.

I wasn't at either con that it was demoed at, so the discussion is valuable to me and WILL factor in my buying decision later.

BTW, from all the comments on the list, my only contact with the design, I look forward to it and should buy a copy early.

>None of the criticisms I have seen are unfixable. All of them I believe
>can and will be addressed. Furthermore I don't realy see what this
>discussion is gaining anybody. Nobody has all the answers because nobody
>has seen the final draft of the game - not even Robin!

  It's the excitement on the horizon. People want to talk about it, and it is Glorantha's future. I hope Robin will find it of use. It a least gives me a fix
until I can buy it.

   Pete