Re: The New Gods

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 14:53:20 +0100 (BST)

Julian Lord:
> I desperately need a little information on the new gods of the Orlanthi
> that have been discovered for HW.

I've only seen the one response to this so far, to my surprise. (Digest backlog, anyone? No thanks, I've already had one.) So here goes.

Robin mentioned a couple, that may be who you're thinking of.

The one he said most about was "Nandam, the Birthing Man", who is an Ernaldan hero for Orlanthi men. To cut a short story even shorter, he bore a child in the Darkness (to another man, yet), when his people had lost their fertility, regaining it thereby. He seems to be the "role-reversal" deity for males (Robin compared him to Vinga, but I don't think that's a very close analogy).

A favourite running example of Robin's was some minor thunder deity, whose name I forget (and couldn't spell, anyway). (Something like "Tek-<yadda>-hed"?) He may or may not be Orlanthi, at any rate the name cropped up in discussions about Western Heroquesting (convince god he's Generic Thunder, and you can manipulate him; fail and he's still himself, and will beat you soundly); and Mysticism. (When they're in Denying the World stage, assorted gods et al will come along to tempt them. How to become Sheng Seleris -- start off as a mystic, and _fail_ when a juicy enough temptation comes along. "Psst, want to be King of the World?" <pause> "OK.")

Hope that helps.

Slainte,
Alex.