More comments about games I have never seen.

From: Mittmann, Mike <Mike_Mittmann_at_affymetrix.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 08:24:16 -0700

	rick pim says:
	>still, one has to ask: if there's an optimal strategy (and it
appears

> that there may well be one), why bother with the betting
mechanism?

        Because winning may not be the goal. If my Storm Voice/Lord is fighting

        Onslaught(who has at least one mastery level over him), then his only goal

        will be to provide enough of a delay for other people to get away before he

        calls upon Orlanth to Guided Teleport him back to the temple in DragonsEye.

        Likewise, if my character is catburgling a house, and is surprised by the

        butler (who I could beat in a long drawn out fight), I will want to kill him off

        as quickly as possible before the city guard arrives.

        So does this mean that one always wants to spend all of one's action

        points or only one? I can imagine a few cases where that is not the

        case. For instance If I don't want to kill the butler but just knock him

        out, then I only want to spend 10 AP at a time. (so I don't take him to

	-40 or whatever dead is in one blow)   Or maybe Jane Williams'
	"Intimidating Fighter 12/30" character obviously is not
intimidating
	if fighting cautiously, and becomes "Axewoman 10/30"?

	I would also make an argument that just being in a fight should
be tiring,
	so all combatants should lose an AP every round.  Hey, an even
	more complicated rule:  All characters have a fatigue # ( which
is more or
	less based on encumbrance)  so in fights (or other physical
things) they
	lose that number of AP every round.   Of course this is bad (or
maybe good)
	because it makes physical actions different from other actions.
( maybe
	people should have mental encumbrances based on the philosophy
	the choose to carry around ;-)

	<someone  talking about how to get plot points>
> > >  > I would be happier if they were given out for good role-play

> >> You mean, they aren't? *boggle*

> They aren't though I'm told it was in an early version of the
rules and

> taken out.

	I will agree that giving them out based on role playing
	is nice in theory it has the problem that if one player is a
better role
	player than the others then that player will tend to monopolize
the game,
	as they will progress faster.  Probably the solution is to allow
either
	mechanism, and allow the particular group to choose.

	-mike