Re: Materialism in Glorantha: The objective nature of magic

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 11:11:12 -0500

>Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 17:18:32 +0100
>From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
>Subject: Re: Materialism in Glorantha: The objective nature of magic
>
>Me:
>>>So, sub-point #1: IMO all magic is objective in Glorantha. We know
>>>magic is based on POW and MPs. They are the 'matter' and 'energy'
>>>of magic. We also know they interact with the physical part of
>Glorantha.
>
>Simon Hibbs:
>>This is utter rubbish. Hero Wars has no such thing as POW or MPs.
They
>>are purely RQ game mechanics. This is like saying that H.P.
Lovecraft's
>>characters must have had POW and MPs because Call of Cthulhu
>>characters have them.

[lots of flaming deleted]

I think we've got a confusion of terminology going on here. I've always regarded POW and Magic Points as RuneQuest game mechanics for esoteric magical concepts; I don't believe Gloranthans go around talking about magic points and power. Talking about such things in a non-RuneQuest context is pretty meaningless. Sergio, maybe you accidentally wandered into a Hero Wars playtest discussion without realizing it? That's why POW and MP have no relevance for Simon.

C'mon, guys, make up now, please?