Variant Heroism

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 22:52:55 GMT

Pete Nash says just about all I wanted to say about HW and true heroism:

> I'd like all human NPC's to be just as vulnerable to a surprise knife
> attack in the gut, unless they have heroquest 'strengthen tummy' powers.
> ;-) And in my opinion the skill/death system doesn't currently reflect
> this very well.

No it does not.

> In my campaigns no player gets a free ride.

I must snip a lot of good stuff here that I totally agree with and which had me applauding.

> The greatest hero I ever had the pleasure to roleplay with was the
> weakest member of the party who spent his life valiently saving the clan
> from a Malian superbroo. His death was noble and he sacrificed himself
> with the knowledge he wouldn't return, and as his reward he was made the
> first clan hero and had a rune spell associated with him. The guy wasn't
> even rune level. But he was the most heroic of us all.

I like to quote against the 'cinematic' definition of Heroism, the story of Roger Young which you will find in the Historical Note at the end of the novel STARSHIP TROOPERS. 'To the everlasting glory of the infantry....' (But can you see a Hollywood producer buying the story? "I *MEAN*! Come on! The guy just takes out one machine gun nest and then dies! Where's the happy ending?")

> Now if a hero in HW has things biased in their favour I think it loses
> an opportunity and could remove some players sense of satisfaction.

And some GMs'.

> I don't want them to act like Conan characters chopping their way
> through a wall of guards, stopping only for a soliloquy and feeling no
> fear until the final fight. I want to roleplay and let them taste doubt,
> conflict, pain and fear. Not give it to them on a plate and create the
> whole story just to satisfy their egos.

Loud applause at this point....

> But to be honest I have degenerated into a GMing style discussion and
> this has nothing to do with HW.

It does if the philosophy of HW is opposed to that style and the mechanics reflect the philosophy. Which I maintain they do.

I know this post breaks the 'me too' and 'here, here' protocols. But I wanted to applaud again. In apology I shall snip off my usual grandeloquent sig.