New Orlanthi Gods

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 12:36:08 +1200 (NZST)

Alex Ferguson:

JL>> I desperately need a little information on the new gods of the Orlanthi
>> that have been discovered for HW.

>The one he said most about was "Nandam, the Birthing Man", who is an
>Ernaldan hero for Orlanthi men. To cut a short story even shorter,
>he bore a child in the Darkness (to another man, yet), when his people
>had lost their fertility, regaining it thereby. He seems to be the
>"role-reversal" deity for males (Robin compared him to Vinga, but I
>don't think that's a very close analogy).

Probably related to Heler whom Greg has said is a role model for male homosexuality among the Orlanthi. They may be related to the Helerem who were stated at Victoria-Con to be the descendants of Shargash and Oslira.

They may be related to the Andam Horde of the Entekosiad fame.

Julian Lord:

>Redalda, the horse goddess.

Redayla is the daughter of Vingkot and married to Bereneth the rider. Her descendants are known as the Berenethtelli. She is also known in and around Jillaro as the goddess Reladiva from whence they get their magnificent horses.

>Hedkoranth, son of Orlanth and eldest of the Thunder Brothers.

        'Third [among Orlanth's treasures] was the great thunder stone
        named Great Weighty, which had just laid waste to a race of
        giants which were now just a mountain range.  It always returned
        to its caster's hand.'

        'Hedkorantha the Adventurer, the leader if the Thunder
        Brothers, recieved Great Weighty.  This thunder stone rumbled
        whenever enemies approached, and it would leap into its owner's
        hand for combat.'
                        p49 Enclosure #2.

>Hantrafal, godi of godis? and ex-mortal.

        'Vingkot chose three men [for his ring]: Khalamon as Lawspeaker,
        Hantrafal as Godi, and Dagordi as Warrior.  He chose three women:
        Kerona as Food Keeper, Hohenla as Midwife, and Ebfurya as herd
        mother.  Since then this has been the membership of the Staple
        Ring.

        Orlanth gave to these leaders their sacred tools of council:
        notched stick, tattoo needle, spear, sickle, sack and distaff.
        Orlanth declared that these leaders would all have a weregild
        which was equal to 300 cattle.  We call them thanes today, and
        I know you've heard of spear thanes, and sword thanes and
        shield thanes.'
                        p50 Enclosure #2.

>Earth Witch.

        'This elderly goddess does for the gods what the old woman
        who lives just outside town does for the village.  She makes
        potions, blesses things, and preserves the old lore for those
        who need it.  She sometimes has other names.

        She is rendered as an elderly woman of the local race,
        decorated with a necklace and a belt of charms, and
        holding forward a jar, gourd, or other container'.
                                p5 Prosopaedia, Gods of Glorantha.