Re: Materialist Materials

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 08:42:00 +0100

Sergio writes:

> Since I didn't lay my hands on Stafford's recent work on sorcery, I'm sure
> you'll be kind enough, Nick, to inform me on where is and how can I find
> that work. No, I will not burn it, be assured. I will be sincerely obliged
> to you if you post that information.

Always nice to have someone sincerely obliged to me. Greg's article in "Enclosure #1", called "Gods and Goddesses of the Lunar Empire" (though this is a bit of a misnomer if you ask me), includes a whole page on "Sorcery and Asceticism" (p.66). The first sentence is, "Sorcery is the basic magic for MATERIALISTIC WORLD." (His caps, not mine).

This is the best available source.

Following Alex Ferguson, it does seem odd to say that "Sorcery is not Materialist" when the term "Materialist" was introduced to Glorantha, by its creator, specifically to define what he thinks is the most distinctive thing about Sorcery.

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>