Re: Position of RQ and Glorantha

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 09:57:43 +0100

Ashley Munday :

>Au contraire: According to an interview in White Dwarf #17 (back in the

>days when it was a games magazine not a comic) with Greg Stafford he
>states that RQ was designed for Glorantha.

I've heard Greg say that Steve was already working on the system when he met him, though obviously RQ was first published as a Gloranthan RPG and so the final design was deffinitely developed for Glorantha.

>Secondly, he also says he specified some things that the new system
>should have, such as "...a power point magic system..."

Interesting.

>It's also debatable whether AH abstracted anything away from anything
>else, apart from cash from my wallet in large chunks it could ill
>afford. I also have the feeling that the RQIII rules credit the design
>to Chaosium, so it seems like they were doing the generalisation.

That's correct, RQ3 was a Chaosium design job though the Fantasy Europe setting I believe was stipulated by AH. The rules were entirely Chaosium's achievement/fault.

Simon Hibbs