Pregnant Death Lords

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 15:10:50 -0400 (EDT)

Philip Hibbs wrote:
> The average Sartarite is going to have no idea what Trolls call their Zorak
> Zorani tough guys, so no-one is going to say "You can't call him a Death
> Lord, the ZZ use that term!" Different areas are going to use different
> terms...

Actually, I'd think the Sartarites are probably going to have a better knowledge of this than many other hoomanz -- after all, there's trolls to the north and south (so contact is more common than in some other areas), lotsa Storm Bulls who occasionally pal around with Zorak Zorani, and, of course, knowledge gained from torturing trollish captives...

>Foreign myths are not normally available, but I suppose the Kitori trolls
>might just fit the mythic role well enough to take advantage of the
>quest.

IMO, at least some Kitori trolls have tried to use the Human fertility figures in Korasting's place, so the first attempt was Kyger Litor + Ernalda (which apparently didn't work).

Daniel McCluskey wrote:
> Even if a Male troll were able to successfully breed, (and espescially if he
> had fewer or no trollkin) the Old Girls network would put an end to it
> PRONTO. The Mothers power is their children.
>From their POV, it's a service to the children, too. Male-born children
have no ancestress, since all Uz know you can't trace lineage through the father. Plus, since Mr. Mom isn't calling upon Kyger Litor and Korasting, but some weird Orlanthi pervert god (because all the females just _know_ that KL wouldn't put up with this kind of freaky stuff), how can the children be trolls? They're just some horrible monster children in troll bodies, yuk.

> In fact, (male) homosexual activity is almost certainly condemned as the
> height of depravity by trolls. Not just because it involves "impersonating
> a female" -- a clear sign of disrespect -- but also because it would be
> considered a "waste" of reproductive energy. Mom would NOT approve.
Though it might be common among some Zorak Zorani -- those who join the cult to escape the dominating females of troll society.

Heck, for that matter, how important do trolls think sexual activity is to reproduction? If it's not viewed as important, than male homosexual sex isn't necessarily that big a deal as long as the boyz don't play around with the far more important fertility rituals. Sex, fine; male reproduction, bad.

> Note the mythical justification -- Moorgarki goes to Pamaltela, and kills
> this and eats that, and is basically very Trollish. He is "Wounded by
> LODRIL's SPEAR" after which he spawns the Jungle trolls.
Except he is a she, according to Troll Gods. Unless you'd argue that this is merely a common dark trollish practice of assuming that powerful troll heros are usually females, a POV carried over by the LM authors? :)

> I think that the JTs are considered a cautionary abomination by pamaltelan
> dark trolls, ("don't do that, or you'll end up like THEM") And that any
> attempt to import male/male reproduction to a dark troll society would be
> violently suppressed.

Along those lines, IMG there's a troll trickster figure with a sex-change spell. The horror! Just think, if males could become females! Or vice versa: society would crumble!

James Frusetta, UMCP History Department		gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu
  		   http://www.wam.umd.edu/~gerakkag
 "Historians are to nationalist politicians what
  poppy growers are to heroin dealers."           - Eric Hobsbawm