More Materialism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 14:15:11 +1200 (NZST)

Sergio Mascarenhas:

>My whole question is the next: do all these people use those words in the
>same sense? What a sorceror calls Matter, or God, or Spirit?

No they do not. But why is this relevant to your crusade to prove that the Malkioni are not materialists?

>For instance, an hypotesis I advanced was that Malkioni use the term
>God to refer to a different reality from polytheists.

And you were contradicted on this. Both view the same reality through different perceptions.

>I can accept a notion of Matter that is specific to Glorantha, but it must
>be clear what this word means in such a context.

What problems do you have with the posted definition of 'materialism'?

>A question: do sorcerors, polytheist priests, or shamans use this word
>in the same sense? Do they have a common notion of matter?

As has been pointed out before, the answer to this is no. They all have different definitions.

>IMO That's the heart of the question, not whether Malkioni use logic,
>while other people use emotions to interact with their environement.

No it is not the 'heart of the question'. The viewpoint of the Malkioni determines the definitions that he uses. If he uses logic to observe the spirit plane, then he will see things differently than the shaman and so his definitions of what is in the spirit plane will be different.

>AFAIK the God Learners based their experiments on what other people
>believed, if it worked (meaning, produced magical or physical results).

'If it worked' then it wouldn't be 'what other people believed', it would be objectively real.

>"The Malkioni believed in the IG, and that the IG manifested itself
>in the material planes? Good, let us (the GL) use it. Does the belief
>correspond to a simple act of faith, or is it the observation of matter
>of fact? That's irrelevant".

This is the worst possible analogy that you could have chosen. The God Learners *are* Malkioni thus the existance of the Invisible God was NOT "what other people believed" but a proven fact to them.

Furthermore what exactly do you mean by an 'act of faith'. Is the belief in the Sun an 'act of faith' or not? Are you implying that if people didn't worship the Sun then he wouldn't exist?

>After all, the GL made all kind of experiments to create mythical
>entities that didn't exist (or didn't exist any more) in Glorantha.

They have only done this *once*. All the other entities were not manufactured.