women's initiation

From: Pam Carlson <carlsonp_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 00:19:53 -0700

Jane asks about women's initiation rights in Sartar.

We have explored that a bit in Jeff's ToDP campaign, and the notes should be on David Dunham's website, under the write up for that campaign.

In short, I recall that the women and girls go off to the women's sacred place. Much of the deeply magical stuff happens in a cave (symbolizing the underworld, of course), where the girls meet women of the clan who assume the roles of many of the aspects of the goddess. (The women actually become the goddesses in a way.) It's quite frightening, as it really is an underworld heroquest of sorts. I think it could be one of the sources of that legendary stoicism of Orlanthi women. Different clans would also have special rights for certain ancestors; the Varmandi revere Kero Fin as the clan ancestor-queen, and have a special shrine to her consecrated with the bones of the clan's founding women. (It was probably the burial place for the women for a long time, too.)

I think the women's initation rites may also involve meeting many of the clan's guardian spirits, the local earth spirits, and learning the rituals to commune with them all. Instead of the grand, world saving quest the males go through, the women concentrate more on the "how the earth-spirit world works", "earth sovereignity", and "ancestor" themes.

Length:
Jeff's three year figure comes from e-mail conversations w/ Greg & several other folks. I think the idea is that the first year is mostly tdoing special, hard work for the clan, of a sort appropriate for the deity, (fighting, farming, herbalism, animal husbandry, etc.), the second year is spent learning the sacred myths and rituals, and the third year is the magical passage. There could be several magical ceremonies, particularly for the women. I can see there being a special rite for each season, exploring all aspects of the goddess and emphasizing her cyclical nature.

Does that help?

Also, The three year initiation period occurs during the clan's regular life. Youths undergoing the three year initiation still spend the vast majority of their time working at their daily tasks.

Them's my thoughts -

Pam