Junora and Arkat

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 19:36:56 +1200 (NZST)

Michael Cule:

>Could anyone point me to any good sources on Junora and the Jonating
>version of Malkionism?

There are writeups of the Syanoran Church on Loren's Webpages. The address is:

http://rider.wharton.upenn.edu/~loren/Carmania/malkioni.html

You might also want to gawk at the writeups for the syanoran lunar church and the arrolian church as well to get an idea of the religious issues in Eastern Fronela. The short summary is that they are against divorce and have a whole lot of animal saints IIRC. In _Ye_Booke_of_Tentacles_, it's made clear that Jonat was originally brought back those the Seshnegi icons not because he was pious and wished to bless his people but they were the prettiest things he could steal when he was looting churches in Seshnela.

The Junorans seem to be governed by Knightly Orders in imitation of Loskalm according to the Genertela Book. I don't know whether it's a recent imitation since the Ban or it started up before the Ban. But the parallel of the Teutonic Knights lording it over plucky little Poland wouldn't go amiss IMO.

Alex Ferguson:

Me>> Lastly only a couple of secrets in glorantha are Truly Unknown.
>> To wit, they are the Forbidden Secret and what precisely happened
>> between Arkat and Nysalor.

>Even this second isn't exactly a Total Secret. Some source or other
>(sorry, it's late) helpfully supplies that Arkat kills the b'stard.

I was thinking more in terms of what motivated Arkat, why he went after Nysalor and what shocking final relevation Nysalor unleashed when the chips were down.