Wounding comments.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 17:59:42 +0100 (BST)

Following recent Information, perhaps I can add a clarifying comment to the discussion about wounding in HW combat, cannon fodder, and the like.

The HW demo game rules include an option to "Hurt" an opponent when you win a contest (by a sufficient margin) against him, rather than just taking his SPs (which you'll then lose over the next several rounds, as he creams you with his higher skill). Being "Hurt" gives a significant combat modifier, quite separately from the SP totals.

So the old Uz staple of enlo soakage is _still_ meaningful, even against much better opponents -- they're sent in, attempting one-off suicide attacks to wound, most of which naturally fail miserably, and they collapse in an SPless heap. But some will succeed, even in the face of bump-downs (possibily even a couple, given sufficient numbers), penalising Our Heroes. Then the Uzko calmly wait while the trollkin remnants limp back, and SP totals are reset all around, and go in themselves at an appreciable advantage...

Slainte,
Alex.