HW magic levels - I think

From: Ralph Plowman <were.ralph_at_virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 02:15:08 +0100

Sorry to butt in without a real point, but I think Ross has hit it on the head when he describes the effects limited magic effects have as;

"a) Help players realise that brute force is not always smart. b) Give players hard decisions at the end of Scene A regarding carying on

    to Scene B immediately while in a weakened condition or leaving scene

      B till tomorrow when they will be back to full strength but giving
      their opponents the opportunity to respond."

This can only be a good thing. My players (and I'm sure loads of others, too ) are pretty gung-ho, so sometimes you need to bring these people back into line and make them actually think about their predicament a bit. Too much magic just means they'll go on and on and on.... If HW makes his possible, then it will have a hard time getting certain types of player to roleplay, which I perceive as the main bonus with HW. It also holds back the 'shy'or new players who we all desperately want to get involved in the roleplaying aspect of our hobby, rather than the easier or lazier route of letting them 'roll-play' till they get the hang of the game/world. Trust me, I've seen it happen.

Anyway, if this psuedo rant doesn't seem to be making a point, I apologise, but I've just got back from a very enjoyable wedding reception - if you know what I mean!

Here's hoping to be able to demo HW with my players soon...hint....hint anyone wanting to get feedback from a bunch of gung-ho inebriates!!

Cheers
Ralph