Convulsion

From: mob <mob_at_bayswater.schnet.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:43:29 +0500

G'day all,

Convulsion Sets the Standard Yet Again

Convulsion lived up to all expectations, and I had a fantastic time. Many thanks to the organisers for the great job they did! Once again Convulsion set the standard of what should go on at a Glorantha-themed con, and how one should be run.

My personal highlights included meeting everyone again, including lots of new faces, MoLaD, the sing-along-a-Nick ("Pelorian Rhapsody" being the latest hit tune, sung many times), Nick, Jane and I once again expounding on the Secret History of Sun County, the story-telling (Mike Cule again in fine form), the trollball game, and General Roan Ur in "Life of Moonson". Lowlights were having our car rear-ended on the way home, once again being subjected to fried bread, and missing the extraordinarily diligent pizza delivery guy from the last Convulsion.

Following the plethora of new stuff that was out for the LA and German cons, other than some way cool t-shirts - the guy at the t-shirt printing shop assumed the "C4 - Life of Moonson" t-shirts were advertising a forthcoming channel 4 documentary about some obscure Roman emperor - there were just a couple of new Gloranthan products.

Definitely get your hands on Reaching Moon's new, revised, updated and expanded "Rough Guide to Glamour", which features great stuff on the Lunar capital, the Lunar Way, major personalities at the top of tree in the empire, and my new Jaxarte story, "Jaxarte meets the Emperor". It's also chock full of illos and has handsome production values.

The C4 con book features excellent Gloranthan fiction and writing, including stuff by all the usual suspects and an illuminating piece by Robin Laws describing what's going on with "Hero Wars". My favorite is a very black, noirish piece by Colin Philips which I hope we'll get to see more of!

Finally, Issaries Inc has produced "Missing Lands", featuring all the geographical bits that would have gone into "Genertela: Crucible of the Hero Wars" if it had actually been say, "Glorantha: Crucible of the Hero Wars". So, we get information on Pamaltela, the East Isles, Jrustela, etc., including some of the least instructive or necessary maps since the "Routes to the Sea" maps in "The Lost of City of Eldarad". Pointless maps aside, this is the most useful, gamable resource produced by Chaosium/Issaries and well worth getting your mitts on.

Cheers,

MOB

MICHAEL O'BRIEN
  Research Associate, Bayswater Primary School   Learning Technologies Navigator School, Bayswater, Victoria, Australia   Telephone: +61-3-9721-3755 Fax: +61-3-9720-8986   <mob_at_bayswater.schnet.edu.au>
  MOB's Glorantha Page: http://gateway.bayswater.schnet.edu.au:81/~mob/

  9 Parker Street, Richmond 3121, Victoria, Australia   Home Telephone: +61-3-9428-9048