Dragon Pass movement and speed...

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 11:35:00 +1000 (EST)

[also being sent to the Gloranthan Board games mailing list]

In Dragon Pass, the fastest units are Dragons (20) and Storm Walkers (20). There's no units in Nomad Gods resembling this speed (is 12 the highest?). The only way a live unit such as Stormwalkers could come close to matching a dragon is to *be* the wind.

(one can also assume that 20 is the highest movement rate possible except for those rare but incredibly enjoyable occasions when Stormwalkers are stacked with the Spirit of Movement and do a couple of laps around the board each turn!)

So, postulating about the Stormwalkers: they must *be*, or ride the wind. Even the Wind Children, who are supposed to be incredibly linked to sylphs and be able to fly naturally (what Orlanthi rot!), only move at 12. So, do the Stormwalkers have teleport as a natural ability? But then shouldn't they move like the puppeteers?

So, after these musings, can anyone tell me *why* the Stormwalkers move at 20 and the Wind Children at 12? Like Jane (I think it was), I like to see PCs as part of the Hero Wars and the obvious major unit to join is Stormwalkers - for all those pious Orlanthi Wind Lord/Priests. Are Stormwalkers related to the Thunder Brothers? etc.

Robert McArthur