On the Vadeli.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 00:10:27 +1200 (NZST)

Alex Ferguson:

>Yeah, it was not at all clear to me exactly what the Offiicial Greggly
>Take [on the Vadeli] was. I suggested the [Kingdom of Illogic], though
>no one Bit at the exchange. I was thinking of them being some sort of
>Shadow of the Malkioni, as I think someone else suggested, so logic would
>the first and most crucial thing for them to contradict if that were so.

The problem with this is that the Vadeli would reject materialistic philosophy. Which is quite a leap given that other sources indicate they are atheistic sorcerers (which rules out theism and shamanism and probably mysticism).

>If the Vadeli _are_ Logical, then presumably that means that either they
>follow a completely different logical scheme from the Brithini[*], or
>that they're not so different from them as the latter like to make out.

I think we can take it as given that the Vadeli are Logical (Missing Lands includes "the Vadeli Smile" which indicates that Vadeli appearing 'relaxed and cheerful' is a rare event) although a good definition of Logical remains to be thrashed out. Are we talking about Pointy Earism or simply rigid adherence to a particular philosophical doctrine? For example if the Brithini logical doctrines was revealed to be something along the lines of Plato's republic, would an Epicurean qualify as being Logical?