Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #31

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 13:07:57 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Sun, 19 Jul 98 14:10 MET DST
> From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
> Subject: State of the List/ Fan Material
>
> Nikolas Lloyd
>
> >Instead, I skip through most of these digests,
> >and marvel that people have the time to argue some of the points they do.
> >It's a game. Or is it? Is the study of Glorantha more fun than the
> >playing in it? The same few names appear on this list time and time
> >again. Do these people play RQ as well as talk about it? What proportion
> >of the time do they spend playing, and what preparing for play?
>
> There's always the problem of opportunity. I'd love to play a character in
> Glorantha, but apart from a PBEM and a few convention games I haven't, yet.
> The regular gaming group I have isn't quite prepared for myth-rich gaming,
> so my refereeing Glorantha is more sporadic than it could be too.
>
> It is a sad truth that I am more of a functionary or scholar than a gamer,
> but then some of that time goes into making magazines. Hopefully not a bad
> thing? But you might say that a lot of the scholarly pursuit might be
> regarded as preparation for play.

Joerg's statements pretty much describe what I'm saying about the RPG situation, so I'm going to use them as jumping off point...let me apologize to Joerg in advance for damning him by association with me :)...

The time gap between the halt of new RQ publications and the release of HW is critical for avoiding the situation you are now in...lots of people are saying "well, HW is for a new audience, RQ doesn't matter"; unfortunately, this is not true. Without a serious amount of acclaim and evangelizing from RQ players, HW is not going anywhere. To have RQ players evangelize the new product, there actually have to be some left when HW hits the shelves...

> Brian Tickler paints it black:

Thanks for being the most diplomatic responder to my post...beats overly sarcastic remarks any day in my book... :)

> True, the promise alone is not enough. We do need some tangible professional
> publications within this millennium, starting ASAP and providing at least
> three major publications per year.

Agreed. I'd also say that the initial publications need to stick to the Dragon Pass/Prax area...