Re: Future of Gloranthan Gaming

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 18:35:07 EDT

RH Wolfe:

<< I think that doesn't really address the central problem with every incarnation of Gloranthan role-playing so far... lack of OFFICIALLY PUBLISHED AND APPROVED
 material.>>

     I think its pretty difficult to argue with that.

<< I remember laughing my ass off every time we got a Chaosium publishing
schedule. It didn't take long to figure out that "Coming in August" meant  "Maybe by Christmas," "Coming Soon" meant "Coming in a Year or Two if You're Lucky," and "In the Works" meant "Ain't Gonna Happen." We used to joke that Chaosium was the best named company in the history of companies.>>

     In this respect, Issaries plans to do things differently than Chaosium has in the past. That's one reason the launch of HW has been so delayed; Issaries want to make sure they have all the support supplements ready and waiting to come out before the launch the game. That way, people won't have to wait several months for the first set of supplements - as has happened with every previous Chaosium system.

<<I've never seen a fan generated product on the FRP shelves of my local Barnes and Noble, and even the local gaming store (Aero Hobbies, Santa Monica and Yale, Santa Monica CA. Free plug, Hey, Gary) only gets in one or two copies of
 Tales (when it comes out, once or twice a year). Forget about Enclosure or RQ Adventures. Sorry, but you've got to be already sold on the game to have even heard of those products. >>

     I've seen copies of Tales in Virgin Megastores, and of Tradetalk and Ye Book of Tentacles in Orc's Nest. However, you're right about the basic point; fan-generated material while cool, cannot support Gloranthan gaming on its own.

<< Now I'm not saying Chaosium can put out that kind of volume. But one or
two supplements a year (or one supplement every two years) just won't cut it, guys. HW needs to be supported by FREQUENT high-quality supplements or it won't stand a chance. Publish or perish.>>

     This is why Issaries plans to have one supplement out per month once the HW games rules are published, IIRC. You may, of course, query how likely this is to actually happen...

 <<3. High-quality presentation and packaging. Professional illustrations.>>

    The plan is for (at least some of) the supplements to be in standard paperback book format, i.e. looking like a typical novel rather than the larger things we're more used to (A5 rather than A4 for those who understand British paper sizes). Apparently this will make them cheaper, too. I'm not clear how many supplements this will be true of, or, of course, what the boxed sets will look like or how professional the whole thing will look. Aside from the temporary abberation of Mr Dobyski, illustrations in RQ and Chaosium products look pretty good to me.

  << I'll believe it when I see it. Issaries can _intend_ to conquer the world,
 but I wouldn't stake _my_ money on it.>>

     Fair enough. I see more reason to be optimistic than you, but I'm quite willing to admit that I may be wrong. I certainly wouldn't want to give the impression that I think all is definately rosey for the future; there's a long way to go.

<< Misters Stafford, Henisoo, and Appel, you're welcome to prove me wrong. In
fact, I hope you do. I'm rooting for you. Hell, I'll be buying your products, if and when they come out. But I won't be buying any shares of your company. >>

      I will be because (if I understand how this works) the worst that can happen is that I lose all the money I spent on buying them. That's a risk I'm prepared to take, but I certainly wouldn't suggest that everyone else ought to feel the same...

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky