Re: Kingdom of Illogic

From: Andrew Raphael <raphael_at_research.canon.com.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 01:21:13 +1000 (EST)

Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie> writes:

>>Learning that the Vadeli are emotionless automatons who do what they do
>>simply because its the rules of their religion and don't think of it as
>>evil or good one way or the other.

Damn. And after everyone had tossed their cookies, too.

>Yeah, it was not at all clear to me exactly what the Offiicial Greggly
>Take was. I suggested the Subject: of this post, though no one Bit at
>the exchange. I was thinking of them being some sort of Shadow of the
>Malkioni, as I think someone else suggested, so logic would the first
>and most crucial thing for them to contradict if that were so.

Perhaps the founder of the Vadeli was someone like Godel? A profoundly logical person, but not someone that the great Hilbert project of the Brithini can accommodate. Demonstrating that the whole Logical thing has no foundations isn't going to endear you to Zzabur no matter how rigourous you are.

>If the Vadeli _are_ Logical, then presumably that means that either they
>follow a completely different logical scheme from the Brithini.

Not necessarily. Perhaps they follow those true propositions that cannot be proved from the axioms using a mechanical procedure.

May I suggest now that the founders of the Vadeli were Alan, Alonzo, and Kurt? ;-)