Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #34

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 20:42:32 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:52:50 -0500
> From: "Guy Hoyle" <ghoyle1_at_airmail.net>
> Subject: Snubbing Newbies
>
> >> Richard Meints wrote
> >[snip]
> of
> vague/esoteric
> >
> >This is exactly what has stopped me from posting several times. When I=
> first
> >delurked on the digest three years ago, I asked a few questions about
> >areas/things I had no source material on, and got replies that made me=
> feel
> >like I'd said something stupid, which wasn't what I was looking for. When=
> you
> >don't know something, and you ask someone who does, you don't expect them=
> >belittle you at the same time because of your "lack" of knowledge.
>
> This is an important point, and one that deserves to be addressed in the=
> rules of the road. How about something like, "This digest exists to=
> promote the dissemination of information about Glorantha. Be kind to=
> newcomers". That's too verbose, but maybe there's something there we can=
> use.

You're asking a lot here...the normal course of action when a newcomer brings this up is for various Digest Illuminaries to pat themselves on the back, remind each other of how helpful they are and how much good they bring to the Glorantha fans, and say "Condescending? Why do people keep bringing that up? We're not condescending in the least..."

(ducking and running now...)